[HLUG] Blender book for pete?

info at lifespacedesign.co.uk info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 11:01:41 UTC 2010

Thanks for the tip George,

Another one of those projects waiting for that heavenly combination of time and
bandwidth; along with learning LAMP stack, CSS site design etc. Doing the
Blender online tutorials is one of those!

To be really useful for me a 3D modeling package has to be compatible with the
industry standard (closed proprietory Hygrothermal Modelling software that can
take a 3D model and simulate heat and moisture flow within it. Whilst there are
some open tools within the research environment none of them can tie directly to
either Blender or Google Sketch up.

The VEIS thermal modeling suite includes it's own 3D modeling tool; which I
found fairly quick to learn how to use, but also buggy ( I had to call for tech
support several times during the week I was using it - using up a lot more
support time than the £50 student license could possibly justify.)

Just so you know what's at stake here, the basic package of VEIS is produced,
developed and supported by a team of about 80 devs; and they sell the user
license at about 4k£ per year, plus extra for add on modules. Strikes me as a
good example of an app that could be open sourced to build a bigger user base,
then supported by selling services!

Mind the Gap
Pete