[HLUG] Letter to MP's

info at lifespacedesign.co.uk info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 12:17:02 UTC 2011

Hi Gang,

Here is a draft of a letter to our MPs in response to the cabinet office paper
issued last week; on Document Freedom Day !

Comments and feedback invited.

Pete H@

BEGINS
Dear Bill and Jesse,

I am writing on behalf of Herefordshire Linux and Open Source User Group in
response to the recently published Cabinet Office document "Government ICT
Strategy"

It is clear that the writer has correctly identified a number of issues in HMG's
management of ICT which have lead to failure and waste in the past, not least
amongst which is the failure to adopt Open Document Standards in all aspects of
HMG electronic document handling. This has also been a major barrier to take up
in many businesses and third sector bodies.

At our recent Open Source Day in Hereford; which we regret you were unable to
attend at this pivotal time; Dr. Mark Wright of Bristol City Council spoke in
depth about problems caused to his administration by the use of proprietory and
bespoke software at regional and national level, along with imposed legal
obligations to use it.
( To see this address visit LINK)

We therefore welcome unreservedly the stated objectives of

  "Create a level playing field for open source software"
and
  "Impose compulsory open standards, starting with interoperability and
security"

However, in the body text on page 8 there are the weasel words "where
appropriate" in the context of procurement of Open Source solutions. May I put
to you that so far as I know no one in HMG has ever examined the question of
where is it appropriate to use expensive, closed, proprietory software for the
business of public administration. The DEFAULT position must be to use Free and
Open Source applications.

It is our view that these objectives can be met by one simple action.