[HLUG] virtualbox

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Fri Aug 5 06:28:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:49 +0100, GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> Please can you confirm that VirtualBox, having a Sun/Oracle background, requires "registration"?
>
> Has anyone tried  quemu  or xen ?

Hi,

I use qemu (KVM) almost exclusively at work for our test platform.

Coupled with LibVirt (an abstraction library) we are able to deploy
replicas of our production environment for testing purposes in about
seven minutes per server (we then test against them before discarding
the virtual machines so we always start from scratch).

I've blogged about some of the stuff we're doing with
KVM/MCollective/Puppet/Jenkins on my blog @
www.threedrunkensysadsonthe.net and I'm more than happy to answer any
questions that you might have where I can.

Just bear in mind that to get real value from KVM/QEMU/XEN you need
hardware that supports VT at the minimum.

Kind regards,

Matt (realising he's been a bit remiss with regards to meetings
recently... ;) )

--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace
matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk