[HLUG] virtualbox

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 5 13:33:37 UTC 2011

Please see below -

> From: Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [HLUG] virtualbox
> To: herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk
> Date: Friday, 5 August, 2011, 7:28
> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:49 +0100,
> GEOFF BAGLEY wrote:
> > Please can you confirm that VirtualBox, having a
> Sun/Oracle background, requires "registration"?
> >
> > Has anyone tried  quemu  or xen ?
>
> Hi,
> Just bear in mind that to get real value from KVM/QEMU/XEN
> you need
> hardware that supports VT at the minimum.

Dear Matthew

I guess that "VT"  refers to some kind of  hardware enhancement.  I understand that KVM uses the kernel.  Does it also need VT ?

I may have to revise my original plan to play with virtualisation and hypervisors on a clapped-out old desktop that is cluttering my desk !

I also prefer to use "free" software in the GNU sense, if that should be available.

I don't want to use this present ASUS 7010  lap-top for experimentation. It is the family work-horse !

Best regards,

Geoff