[HLUG] Saturday router music

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 18:52:47 UTC 2011

Hi George,

VLC can do both the sending and receiving of the music stream.

For the sending side goto File -> Streaming/Export Wizard then follow the
instructions to stream to a network and the music you want to stream.
 You'll need to have set-up a playlist or media library to stream from.
 Then following the instructions for UDP Unicast and enter the IP or
hostname of the destination machine, make sure you you also check the
'Local Playback' to play it as well as stream.

For the receiving end you simply need to launch VLC and select File -> Open
Network, click 'Open RTP/UDP Stream', make sure UDP and Unicast is selected
and press Open twice.

I'm looking at VLC on MacOS so I'm hoping the instructions are similar in
Ubuntu.

Cheers
Mark