[HLUG] New Open Source Virtualisation 'Orchestration' System - Archipel

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 00:34:32 UTC 2011

Hi

Sounds a bit pretentious but this is what they call Archipel,
archipel-project.org, a new fully open source Virtualisation Management
system.

I've been looking at getting something to manage some remote virtual
machines i run but a requirement is it needs to be libvirt based, ie using
the std virtualisation library that can control KVM, XEN, Virtualbox and
Vmware machines hosts. That means my favourite at the moment the solid but
slightly dull proxmox, proxmox.org cant be used. Its also worth pointing out
that there is a lot of development going on with virtualisation systems
currently, but a lot is crippleware, half heartedly 'open source', but with
no real community development, and a more expensive 'Enterprise' that the
company really wants to sell in the wings. Archipel isn't this either ....

Archipel is unusual as it uses XMPP or jabber messaging as the mechanism to
talk to your virtual host and guests, so you can use it with just something
like Google talk to control them if you want. Graphically, the interface is
stunning, a far cry from the popular but clunky virt-manager.

I'll bring along my laptop for our next LUG meeting on Weds,
(more details to come in the weekend). for a brief demo if anyone is
interested ...

Its still only a beta but shows a lot of promise ..