[HLUG] Kubuntu natty

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 20:42:25 UTC 2011

Hi Andreas

On 6 June 2011 21:01, Andreas T. Ege <andreas at spheniscid.net> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> After giving up on sabayon linux, because I couldn't get a few for me
> crucial programmes to run, I'm back to kubuntu, updated to natty.
> Now I've got some issues there as well, which I hadn't had with maverick.

I've found Natty fine with my 3pc's for work and home so far

> The first is mostly annoying, ever few system starts natty doesn't boot.
> Grub shows up just fine, starts to boot natty, but never actually does it. I
> just get a light blue screen, no boot messages and no noticable hard disk
> activity. After a reset natty then starts without problems, no error
> messages during boot.

Very strange - can't say i've ever seen what youre describing .. weird

> The other is more of a problem, half the time I don't get a wireless
> connection, and never automatically at start. Something, but not wicd, which
> I nirmally use, pops up the password dialog, and half the time then nothing
> happens, half the time I do get a connection. If I actually go in wicd, it
> doesn't find a wireless network. If I remove the wlan usb stick and plug it
> back in, wicd finds the network. On trying to connect, again about half the
> time it tells me the (perfectly right) password is wrong. The othe half of
> the time it connects just fine, with exactly the same password.

sounds like network-manager is being used here somewhere. its quite tied in
into ubuntu

> Under /etc/init.d I find network-manager and wicd. Disabling
> network-manager sometimes help solve the prob, sometimes it doesn't. Using
> update-rc.d remove didn't change anything, but after update-rc.d
> network-manager defaults it keeps telling me that
> /etc/init.d/network-manager doesn't exist.

I would suggest perhaps to just try network-manager instead of wicd. NM is
pretty stable these days and works well for me.. I can see that having two
network managers may be making things less stable..

> Booting sabayon and wlan under sabayon works just fine, so I'm fairly sure
> the prob is in natty. I had a similar prob under whatever was before
> maverick, and could solve it by moving from knetworkmanager to wicd.

I know this sounds odd, but have you tried a live cd/usb stick of just natty
(gnome)? That way you can see if a clean default install for network-manager
works for you or not, then you can go from here  What type of wlan card do
you have?

I could probably just about pick it up from here out my top window and a
cantenna ;-)

> Any ideas where I can look for more info or how to silve those issues?

Otherwise the logging may help ie /var/log/syslog

Julian

Another Linuxite in Sunny Shobdon