[HLUG] Kubuntu natty

AT Ege andreas.ege at mymail.ch
Mon Jun 6 21:39:06 UTC 2011

Hi Julian,

>> The first is mostly annoying, ever few system starts natty doesn't boot.
>> Grub shows up just fine, starts to boot natty, but never actually does it. I
>> just get a light blue screen, no boot messages and no noticable hard disk
>> activity. After a reset natty then starts without problems, no error
>> messages during boot.
>>

> Very strange - can't say i've ever seen what youre describing .. weird

well, haven't really started looking into it, might be a grub issue, as
Sabayon installed it's own grub over Mavericks, and when I switched back
to Natty I had it's grub installed. Gonna wait till I've resolved the
internet problem... or until it get's on my nerves strong enough.

> I would suggest perhaps to just try network-manager instead of wicd. NM is
> pretty stable these days and works well for me.. I can see that having two
> network managers may be making things less stable..

As under previous kubuntus, network-manager was the problem, I'm
actually not too keen going down that route, but yes, I thought the
problem might be a conflict between the two.

> I know this sounds odd, but have you tried a live cd/usb stick of just natty
> (gnome)? That way you can see if a clean default install for network-manager
> works for you or not, then you can go from here  What type of wlan card do
> you have?

Haven't tried that yet. I have just purged my system of all traces of
network-manager, and could log in after that. But as I can log in
frequently after a few tries, it might just be coincidence. Gonna see if
the problem's solved now with the next few boots, I guess. Otherwise
I'll give it a try.
The wlan stick is a RT 2501/2573:
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 148f:2573 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2501/RT2573
Wireless Adapter

> I could probably just about pick it up from here out my top window and a
> cantenna ;-)

:-))

> Otherwise the logging may help ie /var/log/syslog

Will have a look.

--
Andreas Ege

		24 The Birches