[HLUG] RE HLUG Meeting this Weds 22nd at 7pm

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 22:55:29 UTC 2011

Hi Dave

Nice to hear from you again. ;-)

On 22 June 2011 10:01, David Shorthouse <kungfu at globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Isnt Steam a gaming Platform?
> If that is your only problem you can run steam with very little drop in
> proformance using wine.

yes. Heres an interesting snippet from a blog from last year about running
steam on Wine or Codeweveavesr WINE

*Steam/SiN Emergence:*
*Wine*: Steam installed and works beautifully, SiN suffers from random
glitches that while not making it unplayable, did make for an interesting
laugh from yours truely.
*CodeWeavers*: Steam and SiN both installed fine, Steam had to have some
very light tweaking done to make it work extremely well (disabling the
windows <http://www.raymond.cc/forum/#> manager effects) but otherwise
loaded fine right out of the box. SiN loaded and played fine, however, I did
have to set the graphics settings down.
Some important information: While I was able to play SiN fine under
CodeWeavers, I did need to manually set my graphic setup. I had to drop
everything to Medium to play on 40 frames a minute, and had I dropped to
low, I would have gotten 60. It's not a major gripe, but the fact remains
that under Windows, I'm able to run my games at 60 frames a minute with
Medium, the fact remains.... Linux isn't for gaming.

Overall, CodeWeavers was able to run three of the five test applications and
able to run them very smoothly. The major thing that it has going for it,
however, is the fact it does have a dedicated system for gamers. While
that's a nice feature, sadly, I can't demo the feature as I didn't notice a
link for downloading it. The major thing I did notice, that I did like is
that Codeweavers took over the extentions for EXE automatically. Yes, this
is nitpicking, but if you're running an EXE under Linux, I don't think
you're trying to extract it.

So, basically you can run Steam quite easily and well under Wine.

> I don't know if it will let me post its been a few years since ive been to
> meeting and I've had other projects on the go. Which has made me not so
> interested. Those days have now gone Im back into full hacking mode and
> have
> been for the past probably 3 months.

Well, we all find projects and time that come and go. But nice to see your
back interested in Linux again

> Although I dont think the knowlege I have will help within a work
> enviroment I
> do enjoy getting those pesky little windows programs to run under wine.

Yes, bit easier than it used to be too

> Dave
> P.S Julian is it possible to delete the first email i sent as my english
> was
> even worse than this email :)

I never saw the first one, so it looks like you managed to stop that one.

> Hope to see people there.

We didnt see you tonight, but hope to see you next month.

We had 10 people at the meeting tonight - almost a record ;-)

More details about what we discussed and agreed for Software Freedom Day
2011 (SFD) will follow soon.