[HLUG] BBC news item on open source

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Thu Mar 31 20:07:16 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Regarding official use of software, you definetely get funny responses. I've been on a vet meeting with people from DEFRA's animal health about tb testing the other day.
One of the items was introducing a new system to book the tests online, replacing the beta version java script we've been using the last few years.
Under the topic requirements was listed:
Computer
Broadband
MS Excel
Antivirus software

On the question from the audience whether they could recommend a virus scanner, the guy said they're not selling programms. On mentioning that they sure sell MS Office he could only say that he thinks that's because of how the new system is programmed. And I wasn't the only one thinking about using a different spreadsheet.

Our surgery is using MS, as do most, but I still find it infuriating that a so called industrie independant governmen forces me to use software I easily could do without.
And if I look at the software implementation they provide us with at the moment, a java script that works only with IE7, I probably would expect problems using their excell programmed spreadsheets with open or libre office.

--
Andreas Ege

24 The Birches
Shobdon