[HLUG] ubuntu 11.04

Sarah Chard sarah at streetentertainers.co.uk
Mon May 9 11:26:18 UTC 2011

I have had a somewhat mixed experience
upgraded my eee 1000h without any issues - it doesn't like unity - so i
reverted to the classic gnome desktop which is fine - I like unity on
the smaller screen and if the netbook was up to it i would probably run
it.
upgrade on my partners desktop was a failure as the grub was lost - I
managed to get back in through grub rescue but could not resolve the
problem (think it was a known bug) and did not have much time so
reinstalled 10.10 for him - as his PC is not that powerful and has an
old graphics card lots of the bells and whistles stuff would not have
worked anyway.
My main work PC i keep on 10.04 for stability but i did hit a problem -
I run evolution for my mail as i like the calender integration and just
use the inbuilt backup to move my emails from pc to laptop when working
away from home but discovered that in natty they have moved the location
of the folders holding the mail and seem to have separated it from the
db file so if you look in the .evolution folder in home the emails etc
are no longer there they are now in the .local/share/evolution - if you
create a backup tar file using the inbuilt evolution backup in natty -
10.04 does not recognise the file as valid. You can copy the contents of
the .local/share/evolution folder into your older version of evolution
(in .evolution) which means you get your email back but will have lost
your contacts, calender, memos and tasks. I saved them by copying the
original contacts and the other folders over from my old version
evolution but its a bit of a clunky way to do it and you are no longer
synced.
going the other way natty recognises the backup file from 10.04 as
valid.
I assume that the evolution in natty is a newer version - would uprating
to this version on 10.04 solve the problem?

Sarah