[HLUG] Broken Boots

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 11:48:48 UTC 2011

Chris,
Looks at first blush that the machine is in hibernate or standby. Have
you tried/done any of the following;

Insert a different HDD
Power down/remove battery

I am not suggesting you should do either of these, but if you have it
would tell us a little more, including locating the issue between BIOS
and boot sector.

Maybe you could bring it along next week ? there is bound to be someone
that knows what they're doing about ;)

Pete

On 21/09/11 12:37, Chris Owens wrote:
>  Hi Folks
>
>     Sorry to trouble you with a tricky one.
>
> Have been running Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04 on an IBM T40 no probs
> for over a year - in fact almost forgot about Windows. Then fiddled
> with Power Management to try and optimise Energy use in downtimes with
> little success. Re-boots and/or Wake ups completely shambolic,
> anything from completely successful restart with open programmes etc
> to several kernel panics. Gave up but then noticed Windows no longer
> accessible and I cannot re-load it.
>
>     Present situation
>         1. On Power Up T40 boots straight to Grub Menu in say 20 secs
> no sign of usual Hard Drive/Memory start up messages.
>         2. Pressing Access IBM to enter BIOS no longer works but BIOS
> can still be entered using F2. (BIOS Version 2.12 (1RET85WW) Device
> Boot Order: Floppy>
>             CD-ROM> HD  confirmed
>         3. Selecting Ubuntu 10.04 from Grub Menu boots normally to a
> fully functional system.
>                     os-prober confirms /dev/sda1:MS Windows XP
> Prof:Windows:chain
>                     GParted partitions look OK
>                     Windows partition accessible quite normally from
> Ubuntu
> BUT  4. Selecting Windows XP from Grub Menu boots to a Windows B&W
> Screen requesting type of Windows Start up Safe Mode, Normal Boot etc
> all of which
>             lead to Blue Screen of death with insufficient time to
> note down 'problem' hex-dec addresses but the first is STOP: 0x0000007B.
>
>         5. Interrupting Windows XP boot from Grub Menu (pressing
> Access IBM button) returns: Authentication of System Services failed.
> <ESC> to Resume. Press
> <ESC> and you get back to Grub Menu
>
>         6. Starting up with either Windows XP or Ubuntu Live CD has no
> effect. T40 ignores content of the CD-ROM Drive and goes straight to
> Grub Menu.
>
> I am sorry this is a bit of a rambling post but I haven't a clue what
> the problem is or how to fix it but would very much appreciate any help
>
> Thanks everybody
>
> Chris

Lifespacedesign offers a bespoke energy evaluation for all types of property

Pete Linnell M.Sc. (Dist) Architecture:Advanced Environment and Energy Studies.