[HLUG] Install sessions.

GEOFF BAGLEY geoff.bagley at btinternet.com
Tue Aug 7 17:52:49 UTC 2012

The idea of installing GNU/Linux on visiting machines is very appealling, but would need to start early  even with a good fast wide-band  connection.

Due to the large choice of packages, it can take two or more hours.

It would be better to establish a partnership between anyone wishing
to get a machine installed,  and a "mentor"  who would do the install
and then follow it up to get the newbie up and running, and susequently provide guidance.

Personally I do not like the recent Ubuntus and the new desktops,
though you can get a nice result with Mint Linux.

I no longer use KDE, which used to be my favourite,  and use GNOME
with a cleaned-up  (no eye candy) desktop, which is an excellent (visible) parking place for files.  I have no use for "themes".

I hope I can get in to Hereford sometime.  I am not sure that the
current meeting place is within wheel-chair distance of a car-park.

Best regards.

Geoff