[HLUG] A couple of ink cartridges and a data transfer problem

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Thu Jul 19 14:29:39 UTC 2012

Hi Chris,
Long time no see !
Interesting data transfer challenge. I have still a working 1990's
Toshiba sattelite laptop with USB Mk1 ports and can run it from a
DSLinux CD which is my standard data recovery OS. Or we could try to
build a zombie box from my spares pile :)
email me a phone number to pete at lifespacedesign.co.uk if you like to
call by and try this out!

Mind the Gap
Pete

On 19/07/12 15:18, Dr Chris Owens wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
>     Have just come across a couple of unopened Canon Inkjet cartridges
> 1xBCI-3eBK and 1xBCI-3eC which I will send with pleasure to anyone who
> can use them.
>
>     Second is more interesting but I would really appreciate some
> help. Am trying to reclaim residual data from old hard drives using a
> IOMAH USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter with Ubuntu 10.04. No problem with
> relatively recent drives but am stuck with a Fujitsu M2611T 45MB 3.5"
> IDE drive circa 1992 probably previously running Widows 3.1
> (presumably FAT16). Was OK in its box and starts up smoothly in the
> adapter but I just can't get Ubuntu (or Windows 7) to recognise it.
>
>     It doesn't show up with $lsubs (or anything else as far as I can
> see) and it feels like some kind of failure of data exchange between
> the old drive and the new USB requirements. Short of putting the drive
> back in its box and copying off data with floppies are there any other
> possibilities Trinity Kit maybe or are some drivers needed? - most
> reports seem to suggest drivers would not be needed.
>
> Many thanks

Lifespacedesign offers a bespoke energy evaluation for all types of property

Pete Linnell M.Sc. (Dist) Architecture:Advanced Environment and Energy Studies.