[HLUG] Ubuntu 12.04LTS - ok so far

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Thu May 10 07:02:39 UTC 2012

Hi Dave

On 9 May 2012 23:42, Dave Winterton <davidwinterton at snail-mail.net> wrote:

> Thank you for your expert reviews, i think it is a great time to run
> Linux.
> Now for a non expert review from my 6 year old lad, (it would be a
> completely clueless review if I did it)
> And just to change the subject it is on an operating system from the
> west coast of America, as found in
> Bromyard library,on a computer in the childrens section
> After two false starts when he didn't realise it was still loading we
> had problems opening anything
> ( it appears you need to click everything twice ), google found his site
> (moshi monsters) on the first page.

You can change the default to single click if you want in the settings.

> Duck Duck Go at home almost always puts the wanted site first. and the
> controls at the library blocked it from opening
> (the only plus all review) but with it's targeted advertising the first
> ad was for a site that reviewed 34 dating sites.....
> explain that away to a 6 year old.

after that it went downhill with him usually reverting to one click , or
> multiple clicks, or just restarting as nothing had
> yet loaded.
> The moral of that long winded ramble; much as we find (minor) fault with
> linux
> sometimes we just have to stand back and remember with it's variety we
> can all make it just as we want it.
> So many thanks again for your reviews on Ubuntu

My 6 year old daughter seemed to just get using Unity in Ubuntu when she
first tried it (shes 6 too). And although she uses Windows at school, (I
guess, she doesnt have any problems swapping over). Mind you they are using
a web based system for some of their learning similar to a young version of
moodle, so I guess theres perhaps not so much the building up of using
Start - and the application anymore, It might well be a website or a web
app instead

Julian