[HLUG] Ubuntu 12.04LTS - ok so far

Pete Linnell info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Wed May 9 23:20:16 UTC 2012

Dave
> p.s. How would I go about getting the library changing a few computers
> over to Linux,
> giving casual users simple guidance to enjoy the greater speed of Linux?
Well Dave, speaking as one that has tried to get our wonderful libraries
to put up an exhibit about FLOSS and ended up swimming in treacle I
would suggest the following.
Get a PC and full set of peripherals all electrical safety tested and
with suitable OS and Apps installed.
Arrange a meeting with the head of service (used to be John Chedzoy but
HCC turn over staff really fast for some reason) to take place in your
local branch.
Include Bill W and Big Jesse MPs in your open invite as both support FLOSS.
Take your Linux PC and set it up and run it during the meeting.
Make it absolutely clear that you intend to leave the PC as a FREE GIFT
for library users.
Add a few copies of HLUG Open Disc and a variety of distro CD's (Ask me
and/or Sarah).
Make sure that known FLOSS advocates in HCC are kept informed of your
plans and any progress. (Is Ashley Tucker on list?)

Sorry to be so brutal, but this IS Herefordshire ;)
Mind the Gap
Pete