[HLUG] Herefordshire Digest, Vol 1650, Issue 1: Website

Kevin Dontenville kevin at opensure.net
Thu Nov 28 11:40:50 UTC 2013

Hi All

Although I intended to stay back from the front line a bit on the new site and let everyone loose on it to prod about and make changes, mistakes and great ideas, it seems there were a few issues building up on the site so I did the uber admin bit and knocked back a few ;-)

1) Looks like the .htaccess file was emtpied, that doesnt work with WP as it needs to redirect and manage directory access.

2) wp-config had also been edited (using windows it seems ;-) I added a clean underscore to the changed DB config and rebuilt the DB

3) The membership plugin is controlled by an admin level administrator, not everyone who is an admin is a membership admin. That is a right assigned within the memnbership admin panel. Only member admins can see the menus in the panel.

4) When membership plugin is enabled each page can be visible to different levels of members, public or just admins. Seems most were just member admins.

5) The URL for the site was modded slightly, I changed that back too. Some ideas to protect and secure the site are best done once a structure for how you want things to work is complete. Keep it simple to start with!

6) I have stuck on a holding page plugin that will let admins login and see the site but the rest of the world will only see the front holding page. That will allow you to mess and not have the world look over your shoulders.

Long term you may want the membership plugin but perhaps get to see what you need by adding things as wanted. I suggest keeping most users generally to editors/authors etc rather than admins, just to reduce the chances of chaos and site downtime, all people make mistakes especially when playing about to start with, best go with minimum perms to get the job done. Its a good principle to work from.

Any problems then do get in touch, but as a rule try to make one change at a time and know how to step back, copy settings for a backup etc.

Kind regards

Kevin Dontenville
kevin at opensure.net
OpenSure - Ethical, Green and Open Hosting
opensure.net support at opensure.net
blog.opensure.net twitter.com/OpenSure

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are the property of OpenSure (Keepnet Ltd), are confidential, may be subject to legal privilege and intended only for the person(s) or organisation(s) named above. Any unauthorised use, retention, distribution, copying or disclosure is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system. WARNING: Although we scan all email it is your responsibility to take all necessary steps to ensure this e-mail and any attachments to it are free from malware.
Keepnet Limited registered in England No 3566710 Registered office: 1 Hathaway Court, Milton Keynes MK8 0LG