[HLUG] Lan problems

Phil Wood phil at pwood.net
Mon Oct 14 08:23:16 UTC 2013

I believe that some of you work with networks and hopefully you can help
point me in the right direction. We have a number of cables running round
the building linking PCs to the ADSL router.

One link is being a bit erratic. I've tested it with one of those cheap
network cable testers and all the leds light up in right order. Sometimes
it works fine then at other times it says connecting and never gets any
further. Is there some software I could run to do a better check on this
cable. I could put a laptop running linux at either end. It's going to be a
bit awkward to replace the cable so I'd like to be sure that it is the
cable that is the problem.

Many thanks

Phil