[HLUG] Herefordshire Digest, Vol 1676, Issue 2

Kevin Dontenville kevin at opensure.net
Mon Jan 27 10:18:18 UTC 2014

Hi All

I have turned off auto membership on the site, we are getting an increaing amount of nonsense subscribers. I recommend we add users on request. Since we would rarely see the to date 37 users subscribed at a meeting I think we are attracting spammers.

Using a contact form to allow someone to request an account is probably a better idea. People can comment (with text approval) without being a subscriber. We can add a subscriber@ address and use that as the contact forward address with admins as members so they can check and setup users promptly. I have seen sites with low traffic end up with 1000s of accounts all hoping to get access to comments for spamming.

By all means do as you want with this, but with past experience I thought I would change it unilaterally and then let you decide what you prefer from a position of not being swamped!