[HLUG] Government wants to drop Microsoft Office for open source alternatives

Andreas T. Ege andreas at spheniscid.net
Wed Jan 29 17:32:36 UTC 2014

Hi there,

Am 29.01.2014 15:27, schrieb George DiceGeorge:
> The government is looking to save millions in taxpayers' money by
> dropping the "oligopoly" of Microsoft Office in favour of open source
> alternatives such as Google Docs and Open Office.
>
> That's what Cabinet Office minister Francis Maude told journalists at a
> government event designed to showcase new online services as part of its
> "digital by default" efficiency drive. It's estimated government
> departments have spent over £200m on Microsoft Office applications alone
> since 2010.

I'm sure that'll please DEFRA to no end, after they just spent millions
on a piece of software that only runs with internet explorer and ms
excel. :-))
If it runs, that is. It's been rolled out with more then a years delay,
I think we've been using it for almost a year now, and it still performs
worse then most beta-softwares I've ever used. :-(

--
Andreas Ege

		24 The Birches
                Shobdon