[HLUG] Computers for Overseas (Linux and Canon Printers)

Dr Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 11:30:27 UTC 2014

Hi Dave and Jools

First thanks Jools for the link to computers4africa I'll pass it on.

I don't know how relevant it is but although the Canon IP4500 eventually
but unpredictably works there is no /dev/usblp0 to be found or indeed
*lp0 in any file name in /dev or anywhere else as far as I can see. I'm
totally out of my depth so what else can one look for that might be broken?

Yes Dave I have eventually got rather fed up with Canon at least on
Mint. The first one I had was an i330 a first class work-horse - always
worked until it signed itself off with one of the forced self
obsolescence messages - 'ink pad saturated' or some such. Managed to fix
it once for about 3 more months but it was totally resistant second time
around. Like with your Mum, most of the bother with IP4500 is on start
up when a lot of whirring and 2 or 3 part pages are a must, often with
all sorts of wierd fonts and colours. Rarely it manages a clean start up.

A real teaser I suspect but thanks for your interest.

Chris