[HLUG] Linux Presentation Day 2016.1 in UK / Herefordshire

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.de
Sun Apr 3 14:14:57 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am the initiator and international main organiser of the Linux Presentation
Day, member of the board of the Berlin Linux user group.

I happened to notice that you are preparing an LPD event as Google found your
Etherpad. I have left a notice there but until now nobody has responded to
that thus I send this email.

Despite UK being one of the first additional countries to announce
participation in LPD 2016.1 it is one of the two without a national web site
yet. Up to now my only contact in UK is the Blackpool LUG and this contact is
a bit "difficult".

From a European perspective we need some UK web page to link to. That need not
even be an "official" national web site; it might even be an event page.

I have even prepared this:

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org.uk/

But this has not been linked because on the one hand it would have to be
proofread and on the other hand someone who is involved in all UK activities
has to take care of that.

Even if you have only one or two locations in UK it makes sense IMHO to have a
press release for the IT media. Most media will ignore that (they even do so
in Germany) but it might be helpful for finding hosting organisations in other
cities, new members and helpers for the organising LUGs (you) and even if it
is ignored it might be useful for later events that the media have heard about
it before. I have made a translation of the German PM.

A tiny one location event in UK is obviously not relevant news for the IT
media but 120+ cities in 10 countries (expected to be about 300 cities in 12
countries in October) should be:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zMfnC1Y85pZA.k1M47AOmi4a4&usp=sharing

You ought to consider that this has started with a single German city in May
2015... Depending on the availability of willing people with enough time UK
may look similar in the near future.

I suggest that

1) you contact the Blackpool LUG if you haven't done so yet

2) you set up a (non-public) mailing list for (potential) organisers for UK if
that hasen't been done yet

3) one of you is added to the European mailing list (until there is a
reliable, official contact for UK)

4) you take care of the national UK web site

5) you consider publishing a press release for the IT media.

I have just created new logo files which might be useful for you:

http://www.linux-presentation-day.de/mitmachen/logo/

I am available for questions and discussion via email, chat, and phone.

CU

Hauke
--
Hotline für den Linux Presentation Day: tel:+49-30-55579620 (13–23 h)
    mobil: tel:+49-176-74827253 (13–23 h)

XMPP (Chat mit OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997