[HLUG] October Meeting coming UP and how to watch TV content on your Linux pc

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 23 10:37:14 UTC 2016

Hi

It will be our October meeting on Wednesday, I should be there hopefully .
Myn wife is laid up with a broken ankle so I've had a lot less time to do
things as I need to help her a lot more for the time being .

I will send all the details of the meeting later on.

I've been investigating how to play UK TV content on Linux. BBC and ITV are
fine, and Netflix/Youtube is fine as they all use HTML5 but 4oD (Channel 4)
and Channel 5 use DRM protect Flash at the moment which isn't supported out
of the box on Linux unfortunately.

The best guide to getting 4oD working is from the inventor of Linux Mint
Clement Lefevre here <https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2028>.
This easy to follow guide works by using Wine to install Firefox for
Windows andFlash for Windows which allows the DRM to be got round. Does
work quite well.

With flash starting to die out and HTML5 in its place the future should
look more rosy in a year or two's time.

Anyone else got any tips on how they watch online with Linux?