[HLUG] Best way to check a website is up, js isnt loading ..

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 11 11:50:06 UTC 2017

Hi

Slightly Off topic.  ..

I have a website that has a regular monitoring tests ie 3 minute ping tests
and checks that a dB query works to check that the database is also live.

But I found today that a javascript link that was on another website that
was down did not trigger either of these monitors resulting in an
effectively non rendered website.

Apart from moving the javascript to the bottom of the page to avoid
blocking the rendering of the bulk of the site is there any means of best
practise to monitor for situations such as this, ie where a site returns a
ping, isn't heavily loaded, and responds to a search query?

Any thoughts ? I hadn't come across this situation and wondered if any one
had any advice ?