[HLUG] Tomato router firmware gone awry ?

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:38:54 UTC 2017

Hello

I flashed an Asus Rt AC 68Dsl router and it had been working fine for about
two months. But the other night it suddenly wouldn't allow access to the
internet nor could you connect to the wifi access points ie ethernet lan.

Connecting a pc with a static ip still wouldn't connect to the router. It
appears reflashing it and restoring the config (at least I made a backup of
this beforehand ) is the only way to proceed. But why would it suddenly
alter in this way ? All the router lights light up as normal but it is
strangely mute to my requests and interactions.

I read 'Brownouts' can cause routers to end up with a corrupted NVRAM as
mine may be but we did not have any power outages that affected anything
else at the time.
I'm hoping it doesn't mean it won't be as unreliable in the future.

Has anyone come across anything similar at all with Tomato or Ddwrt
firmware or anything related? Any advice gratefully received.