[HLUG] adding disk space to server where folder already exists

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 16:47:51 UTC 2017

Hi

I'm doing something and wonder if someone can confirm if what I'm doing is
best approach.

I have a  server with one ssd with two partitions one for / and one for
/boot

This server is 75% full . Backups go in /var/backups

As its a virtual machine, I've added a new archive disk with 100Gb space
which is /dev/vdb with btrfs formatting

I really want this disk to be used in place of the data thats already in
/var/backups so new disk will be mounted at /var/backups

But I already have files in /var/backups that I don't want to lose

So whats the best way to accomplish this ?

My thinking is to mount my new adrive vdb as /media/backups and rsync the
contents from /var/backups to /media/backups.. Then mount /dev/vdb as
/var/backups but I'm thinking there is a better way ...

Anyone ??