[HLUG] Jitsi

Ceri Williams hlug at incoming-email.co.uk
Mon Dec 21 14:01:26 UTC 2020

Hi Pete,

Running a container would give you access to debug your connection via
the logs to see what fails. Using Docker would also allow unsecured so
that you could easily view the traffic.

For a more trial and error approach:
- head to https://meet.jit.si and create a room
- run either a second browser, or use the mobile app to join the same
room (to make sure that you aren't just getting shown your sound & video
client side) for a full test

Check the developer console in Firefox for network etc. Also, check
about:config as I seem to recall the ability to block WebRTC somewhere in
there (can't check on mobile), or maybe use a new profile in Firefox to
start clean.

Happy Solstice!

o/

21 Dec 2020 13:31:05 pl <info at lifespacedesign.co.uk>:

> Hi Ceri,
>
> Ta for the prompt response. That's going too deep for a service which
is supposed to just work in a browser window ! I'm not trying to run a
server here, just to use the service through the browser interface.

debug: https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet

https://jitsi.github.io/handbook/docs/devops-guide/devops-guide-docker

<herefordshire at mailman.lug.org.uk>:

>>> Hi Gang,
>>>
>>> Looking for a jitsi nija. Yesterday I was sent a link to a jitsi
conversation and tried to open it in my browser. All I got was a blank
(black) field in a normal Firefox window. Tried all the usual like
stripping off the tracking codes from the link (it came via the spook),
emptying cache and refresh etc. Made no difference.

>>> Running Mint kde, firefox with pop up blocker and camera and mic set
to always ask- none of these presented any dialogue boxes (as for example
the spook's messenger does to enable a voice call).

>>> Anyone here running an example of jitsi server, or able to set up a
jitsi playpen for trialing solutions.