[HLUG] August LUg Meeting Killed by Google

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 11:23:41 UTC 2021

Hi all

 Hope you're enjoying some decent weather on and off this summer.

An early mention that George has kindly suggested our next meeting 25th
August (4th Weds of the month) will be at his house near Leominster,
hopefully with a BBQ too (if we can get it lit ;-) ).

So something to look forward to. I'll send more info at a later date.

At work we were discussing the Amazon Drone project collapse
https://www.wired.co.uk/article/amazon-drone-delivery-prime-air -
fascinating read for anyone.
My boss's view is that big companies like Amazon and Google have so much
cash to spend that they just throw so much shit at the wall and see what
sticks and much doesn't , he has a point ....  Seems like it might have
been the case here.

Also, in the same vein here's an example of the many and varied now defunct
Google businesses that they either bought and closed, or set-up and fairly
quickly closed down. It's a massive list, but a few of the older projects
might bring a few vague happy memories amongst some of you ;-) .

https://killedbygoogle.com/

I always thought Google Wave, an exciting mismash of email, instant
messaging and realtime document editing would take over email, but of
course it didn't...

Thanks