[HLUG] Good open source remote back solution ?

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:49:31 UTC 2022

Hi Both

Good to hear from you both again.

Sounds like you have a really good set up there Ceri. Most of my work files
are stored remotely by them
so I dont need to worry on that score. We also as a family sometimes use
Google Docs too for Homework and stuff
so for me it's the other files stored locally which may be just as
important, but were not being backed up after I changed machines fairly
recently.

Funnily enough since I wrote my email I also discovered Kopia
https://kopia.io/ which is very similar to Restic (which i do still like),
but also has a
 maintained GUi built by the devs on the project. So you can script it but
also have a comfort of a GUi should I need a quick restore in 4 months time,
 without having to remember the cmd line syntax again.

I might be able to use Restic for work backups though. We have existing
scripts which are fine but nothing that does dedup or built in encryption
(encrypted in other ways anyway).

What else does anyone else use inthe LUG ?

Julian