[HLUG] Two Questions - currently unable to attend meetings

Julian Robbins joolsr1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 22:44:56 UTC 2022

Hi Russell

Thanks for your e mail.

Firstly I think you mean Ubuntu 18.04 as Ubuntu 8 doesn't really make sense.

Doing in place upgrades from a disc used to be quite possible but I'm
pretty sure this isn't really possible these days.

Perhaps best would be to ensure your files are backed up, perhaps on a
separate home partition if you have one, or copied to a memory stick. Then
do a new install instead from a usb stick with Ubuntu or Pop os 22.04. any
configuration or settings you would lose but reinstalling afresh certainly
is the cleanest way to install Linux.

In saying this, if your machine is only 32bit (are you sure? Most laptops
from last 10-15 years were 64 bit) but there are now very few distros that
still support 32 bit, Debian is one but I m not sure Ubuntu still is.
https://www.debugpoint.com/32-bit-linux-distributions/

I also have a Brother printer scanner colour laserjet . Oldie but goodie.
Brother has some of the best Linux support fortunately. I can't remember
how to set up the scanner but you will need to look up SANE scanner access
which should help. I got mine working ok but it took some configuration.
Usb is easier than setting up via network scanning if you have that.

Otherwise if at all possible, and I appreciate it may be difficult for you,
please come along to our next meeting which is next Wednesday and we'll be
happy to help you with this.

Hope this helps

Julian