[HLUG] Etherpad and servers

pl info at lifespacedesign.co.uk
Fri Jul 12 11:56:42 UTC 2024

Hi Gang,

I've been using etherpads on the service provided by riseup.net for some
years but ran into issues with my latest piece of work.

Some members of the team are reporting being unable to open the link,
and more aware members that the link is being blocked by their security
set ups- with indication that it is the domain causing the issue rather
than the http/ https variation. Note that this is suggestive only not a
known fact.

The work is urgent and distributed, with about 20 team members across
the UK and a deadline to produce a document by Thursday 18th (next week)
I do not have any resources to dig my way out of this, nor is there any
pot of gold, so COTS solutions only that do not make demands on anyone's
time or resources.

I imagine that a solution could be;

Temporary virtual server with a secure login for users and an instance
of etherpad.

Something similar to the above as a sandboxed part of an existing
private server (it won't take much space and the work is text only so
very limited bandwidth needed).

A known link to an ethernet service which is compliant with highly
paranoid business/ third sector IT security set ups. (Some team members
are inside such networks and have no control at all, some are paying for
IT support and security for their own SME level systems).

Any suggestions, proposals, offers of solutions, most welcome...

Pete H@