[Herts] internal ip and websever... joy!

Steve Dicks steve at starswan.com
Sat Jun 19 12:31:49 BST 2004

Quoting James Pink <pinkster at punkass.com>:

> hi all,
>
> what i need to know is how i tell the computer which connects to
> the
> internet to redirect html request to the websever which has an
> internal
> ip. the machine which connects to the net is running xp(not mine
> it's
> my mums)

Do I assume that you wish to make your internal webserver box service
requests from outside your network? If so you need to go to
Connection ->Properties->Advanced for the Internet connection on the
XP box, select 'Settings' (you have to switch on the XP firewall if
it's not already on to enable the button!)

Then you select 'web server'->Edit at which point it will give you the
name of the machine running the service and internal and external port
numbers. Change the name to that of your internal web server box and
you're away.

P.S. Note that doign this won't let you access the machine from
*inside* the network using the external name/IP, so you'll need to be
outside your network to test it. Presumably you're using a dynamic DNS
service to find this box from the outside with a fixed name?

--
Steve Dicks
steve at starswan.com