[Hudlug] Common project proposal??

Shak hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Sep 2 18:00:02 2003

Corrado On Hud wrote:

>Dear friends,
>
>with the beginning of the new academic year (...:-)...), I would like to
>propose an idea for "common project", that is a project we could work on
>together.
>
>The idea is to create a very low consumption and very low noise (that is a
>very low pollution) box, running Linux, without compromising too much on
>performances. For performances, I mainly think of input/output throughput and
>transactions, and *NOT* games. If the consuption is low enough we could think
>of assembling it as a "kit" with its own portable solar panel/wind mill. From
>the point of view of the distribution, I was thinking of using a modified
>version of Rock.
>
>It would be of noticeable use in many places, for instance developing
>countries or in "electronic house" applications.
>
>What do you think?
>
>Corrado

Hi,

Seems a good idea, a common project might actually advance the LUG
somewhat (ok, I'll shut up already, we've been discussing this advance
in HudLUG for about 6 months now).

The first question I have is, why? What will the machine do? Why will it
need solar/wind power?

I personally, need to have a clear aim of a project before I set out on
it, just wondering what the aim of this project is.

Shak