[Hudlug] Common project proposal??

Tim Bray hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 22:18:01 2003

Corrado On Hud wrote:

> The idea is to create a very low consumption and very low noise (that is a
> very low pollution) box, running Linux, without compromising too much on
> performances. For performances, I mainly think of input/output throughput and
> transactions, and *NOT* games. If the consuption is low enough we could think
> of assembling it as a "kit" with its own portable solar panel/wind mill. From
> the point of view of the distribution, I was thinking of using a modified
> version of Rock.

I've been thinking of building a silent machine for a while.  But on the
basis that it just runs the xserver.  No disks or fans.  You could boot
over the network, or boot off a compact flash card.

The idea being that you can have a powerful server shared between
several users.  Many people would welcome an office environment without
the background hum of computers.  You can lock the servers away in a
cupboard somewhere.

The transmeta processors may be useful.

Tim