[Hudlug] Common project proposal??

Davey P hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 22:29:00 2003

> From: hudlug-admin@mailman.lug.org.uk
>
> I've been thinking of building a silent machine for a while.  But on the
> basis that it just runs the xserver.  No disks or fans.  You could boot
> over the network, or boot off a compact flash card.
>
> The idea being that you can have a powerful server shared between
> several users.  Many people would welcome an office environment without
> the background hum of computers.  You can lock the servers away in a
> cupboard somewhere.
>
> The transmeta processors may be useful.
>
> Tim

Isn't this similar to the thing that Sun were trying to do with their fabled
Network PC (i.e. thin client)?

As well as Transmeta, I think either VIA or Cyrix do a range of iX86 CPUs
that only require passive cooling, and you could go for an external low
consumption PSU.  If you've only got a CPU, memory, motherboard and low end
gfx card to power then I would have thought you shouldn't need many watts.

It'd also be ideal for running a firewall on - boot into a low footprint
version of Linux on a read-only flash card and run everything in memory...
although maybe that's already been done?

Davey P