[Hudlug] Common project proposal??

Paul Brook hudlug at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 3 23:25:01 2003

On Wednesday 03 September 2003 10:29 pm, Davey P wrote:
> > From: hudlug-admin@mailman.lug.org.uk
> >
> > I've been thinking of building a silent machine for a while.  But on
> > the basis that it just runs the xserver.  No disks or fans.  You could
> > boot over the network, or boot off a compact flash card.
> >
> > The idea being that you can have a powerful server shared between
> > several users.  Many people would welcome an office environment without
> > the background hum of computers.  You can lock the servers away in a
> > cupboard somewhere.
> >
> > The transmeta processors may be useful.
> >
> > Tim
>
> Isn't this similar to the thing that Sun were trying to do with their
> fabled Network PC (i.e. thin client)?
>
> As well as Transmeta, I think either VIA or Cyrix do a range of iX86 CPUs
> that only require passive cooling, and you could go for an external low
> consumption PSU.  If you've only got a CPU, memory, motherboard and low
> end gfx card to power then I would have thought you shouldn't need many
> watts.
>
> It'd also be ideal for running a firewall on - boot into a low footprint
> version of Linux on a read-only flash card and run everything in
> memory... although maybe that's already been done?

Yep, It's been done.
I've got a little (7"x4"x1.5") box based around a Cyrix Genode GX1 (300MHz)
CPU. No fans and powered of a standard external 5v power brick, so is
totally silent. Contains all the usual ports plus a PCMCIA slot, bootable
CF reader, laptop HDD and oboard 10/100 LAN and VGA. When combined with a
SB ADSL modem and PCMCAI wireless card it makes a very nice little
firewall/bridge/access point.

I got mine second had, but I might be able to dig out a URL if people are
interested.

Paul