[Infopoint] Possible email

kat at codepoets.co.uk kat at codepoets.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 16:56:30 BST 2004

Dear Sir/Madam,

In the light of your recent coverage regarding the Linux Operating System and
Open Source software in general, we were wondering if you would be interested
in a piece about some work we are doing as Linux advocates.

Across the country, people belong to Linux User Groups (affectionately known as
LUGs).  We meet locally, and in many cases, regularly, to discuss a variety of
issues and to provide community support for people using Linux.

An offshoot of this, started by Linux journalist and Wolverhampton LUG founder,
Jono Bacon, has been the Infopoint project.  This involves Linux enthusiasts of
a variety of levels of experience donating their free time, and some resources
in the form of free 'Live Linux CDs' and other informational materials.  We
attend local Computer Fairs - with stands kindly donated by Northern Computer
Markets - and talk to people about Linux.

We give out free CDs that allow people to try out Linux, and answer peoples
questions about Linux.  We have operated at several events already at a range
of locations, and run a mailing list discussing issues and planning future
events.  The events we have attended have been very sucessfull.  At our last
event in Wolverhampton, we had many people telling us that they had never heard
about Linux before seeing a segment on the BBC News 24 Channel, and that they
were interested in learning more.

In light of this, we thought that this might be of interest to you as a way of
demonstrating the way the Linux community operates, and providing a free source
of information for people.  We have some events already organised for the
future, and these can be seen at http://www.jonobacon.org/infopoint.

If you are interested in publishing something about us, we can provide any
information, or write a small piece ourselves.

etc, etc,

comments, suggestions?

Kat