[Infopoint] The state of the (Infopoint)?

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Fri Apr 20 20:28:28 BST 2007

Tony Whitmore wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:32:42AM +0100, alan c wrote:
>> David Goodwin wrote:
>> >
>> >Yeah it does seem that way. Kat and I haven't done anything with it in
>> >the last year(?); although now we've moved house we could/should try and
>> >spread the word somehow
>
> We were prevented from continuing with InfoPoints when they stopped running
> the fairs in Hampshire. I only know of one other computer fair in Hampshire at
> all now, although I suspect there must be more. To be honest, I haven't had
> much time to put into InfoPoints as advocacy isn't that important to many
> people within the LUG and they were beginning to seem a bit of a thankless
> task.

It may seem a thankless task, but what happens is on a long time
delayed response.

My own move into linux took years looking at articles, then finally a
LUG install day to get an early mandrake on a very very slow PC, then
two whole years went by as a believer but non user! As a non IT person
with no spare time, I had to wait until I got desperate (!). By then
suse was at 9.1 and I bought the retail box from amazon.  Somehow the
retail box gave it credibility to me - looking from a windows
indoctrinated users view. Strange but true. That is where linspire and
xandros can thrive.

It took about two years then to become confident with suse, and also
want something with more freedom.

Ubuntu 6.06 had gathered a community I appreciated and th
eintroduction of gaphical installer was something I welcomed, and
began to become committed.

These timescales were years. The very initial install proved to me
that linux was real! and did work!

Infopoint exposure is fundamental marketing exposure where it does
most good.

There is a marketing wisdom which says that on the third contact or
exposure, a person may commit to a sale. Before that they are being
informed, then increased information or desire, until finally they
buy. This is a multistage process, underpinned by exposure. Exposure
itself has become fundamental in our current retail consumer society.
If something is in a retail pack it will be chosen. The ubuntu shipit
packs are the most chosen I think for this reason.

In the last few months there has been a noticeable hardening of
interest from people who know they want an alternative, but are
nervous, some really frightened, of an alternative. The infopoint
display, month after month, has given a lot of credibility, and people
look for it for when they try linux initially. It is becoming a
windows user support discussion for linux!

> We should make more efforts I suppose

For those with a bent towards campaigning  - yes if possible. It is a
pivotal time for new linux interest (vista etc)

> Perhaps it's time to start a discussion
> thread on the LUG.

worth a try, if it encourages action.
--