[Klug-general] Introduction

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Sat Dec 4 21:36:13 GMT 2004

linuxgirlie wrote:

<-------------------snip------->

> I am working on a project with my partner called Karoshi
> (www.karoshi.org.uk)
<-------------------snap----->

Welcome, from one who mainly lurks here!

Took a look at your karoshi.org.uk project.

It gladdens the heart to see OpenSource being used in education. My
personal opinion is that not one penny of taxpayer's money should be
spent on proprietary software while OpenSource alternatives exist. Even
where TCO is marginal, it must be better to spend the money in the UK
rather than give it to foreigners.

That said, some questions:

Puzzled as to why you are using proprietary software (albeit for free)
for email, when there are OpenSource alternatives. Surely Cyrus would
meet your needs? Add Postfix/Amavisd-new/Clamav and you have dealt with
the AV on your ToDo list? At least for email.

Not quite clear what your backup strategy is. If you are backing up to
another server on-site you run the risk of losing everything in the
event of major catastrophe, eg fire or theft. If bandwidth is a problem
then rsync or rdiff-backup would minimise this?

I notice Resource Allocation is on your ToDo list. Have you considered
OpenGroupware? It can deal with this and integrates well with Cyrus and
will give you shared calendar and contact database. It's almost out of
beta. I've been running my business on a beta version for about 9 months
now.

Regards,

Laurence Southon