[Klug-general] Introduction

linuxgirlie linuxgirlie at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 09:12:23 GMT 2004

Sorry this took so long to reply too!! I have been very busy!!

> Puzzled as to why you are using proprietary software (albeit for free)
> for email, when there are OpenSource alternatives. Surely Cyrus would
> meet your needs? Add Postfix/Amavisd-new/Clamav and you have dealt with
> the AV on your ToDo list? At least for email.

Yeah Communigate Pro has been bother me for some time as well, I
discussed with Paul a while back and he didn't want to change it, now
it has been bought up into discussion again, he has finally backed
down and we are looking into alternatives.

We are both looking into ClamAV, Paul has one of his techinicians
having a fiddle with it at Swadelands. So hopefully that could be seen
in the next version.

> Not quite clear what your backup strategy is. If you are backing up to
> another server on-site you run the risk of losing everything in the
> event of major catastrophe, eg fire or theft. If bandwidth is a problem
> then rsync or rdiff-backup would minimise this?

At the moment, we have got SAL (the backup server) just backing up
onto harddisk. This is another feature we will have to look into, but
seeing neither of us has a tapedrive, we will have to keep this on
hold until we can raise some money to do testing.

> I notice Resource Allocation is on your ToDo list. Have you considered
> OpenGroupware? It can deal with this and integrates well with Cyrus and
> will give you shared calendar and contact database. It's almost out of
> beta. I've been running my business on a beta version for about 9 months
> now.

I have been regularly searching on Freshmeat and have come across this
one many times, and either this one or a similar setup will be used,
we I have enough time to test it and write the intergration
scripts.....

Jo

--
Spread FireFox: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=user/register&r=32751