[Klug-general] Distro Wars

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Sat Dec 18 21:06:21 GMT 2004

> Peter wrote:
>
>>                     For     Against
>> Mandrake              7
>> SUSE                  2
>> Ubuntu                1         1
>> Gentoo                2         1
>> Fedora                1         2
>> Debian                2
>> Novell Desktop        1
>>
>> Many thanks to everyone who has responded to my queries.

I won't add a vote but merely make the observation that one of the great
things about Linux is that we have choice, and that choice can be made
from personal preference as well as from a consideration of the task to
be achieved. Any discussion of what is best, is, in my view, fruitless
and a waste of time unless it is qualified by "best at what, and for whom?".

I guess I'm conservative (note the lower case "c"!), as I run vanilla
Debian Woody, not even X installed - all command line stuff, but my
interest is servers that will remain up for months, years even. Trouble
is they run so well I forget how to do certain things when I want to
change something!

Remember if you don't like your first choice you can always change!

Regards,

Laurence Southon