[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Apr 21 14:53:02 BST 2006

>         Whilst attempting to make a personal slur against me.
>
> I've met you, you're a nice person and i'm not making a personal slur
> against you. That isn't going to stop me from saying you are wrong
> though.

Telling me that I'm not aware of something I am aware of is pretty
arrogant, its like telling someone they're wrong when their opinion is
different. Oh you did that one too.

Wrong is saying 2 + 2 = 5

An opinion which some could agree or disagree with is like saying,
George Bush is an intelligent well educated man.

Can you understand the difference?

<gunf I already know about gentoo>

> Most users (present company accepted) dont have the need or the
> knowlege to use it. When they feel the need they will undoubtedly try
> it to see what all the fuss is about. For a first time linux it is a
> bit much as well. Personally i loved tinkering with it because i knew
> that if something had gone wrong then the fault was mine and was easy
> to trace rather than my time with fedora which when things break you
> have no clue how, why or when...

Hmm, /var/log/messages, /var/log/maillog, I can debug pretty much any
problem on a fedora server using one of those two files in about 30
seconds. The builds never have issues because they're tested first, and
they are tested more than any other distro, this is called quality
control, if it goes wrong for one, its gonna go wrong for fifty so lets
make sure it doesn't.

If something goes wrong, what makes you think that because its your
fault it'll be easier to trace?

'The only real bugs are the head scratchers, the rest are just moments
of stupidity'

 -- Somebody said that?

>         The simple example to take is that to my knowledge not one
>         single
>         mission critical colo server runs on gentoo, I use two colo
>         servers
>         which run on FC2.
>
> Anyone who uses Fedora for anything mission critical needs their head
> examining. Why use a testbed for anything mission critical? Duhhhhhhh.

Fedora isn't a testbed, its a distribution, it is used to test
technology for downstream RHEL, this does not mean that is its sole
purpose, its a fully functional OS on its own which is community
managed.

Fedora is incredibly stable, more so than Gentoo, LFS, or slackware, its
ideal for servers because it is built on the core technology of redhat
and contributes back to the redhat install base. Not only that but it
has a corporate style release planning, which means everyone involved
paddles in the same direction.

Before you make sweeping statements about something you don't know much
about followed by a "Duhhhhhhh", make sure you're correct of your facts.
Fedora probably the most stable and well managed distribution out there.
The fact that it is more server orientated than say SuSE or ubuntu means
that fewer desktop users use it, but it still has a solid base, the
oldest linux distribution!

And try and use some neticate rather than childish rants.

> You dont see the logic of using it as a desktop but you see it as a
> tinkering device... So you *do* see the logic then? lol

I see a use, an application for the technology, not the logic of using
it on the desktop.

I don't like to tinker with my desktop, I like to use it, I like to
tinker less with my laptop, as when I'm out and about working with
someone I don't want to have to start hacking at the OS to get it to
work right.

That is common sense!

K,

PS, I'm not gonna keep winding you up, I've had my fun examining the
over zealous nature of gentoo users. Its funny, I can remember having
even more heated arguments over mailx vs. xmail with a debian user who
would argue I'm wrong because I thought it didn't matter too much that
one of them was closed source and free and the other was open source.
This kind of zealotry is bad for linux, you only want to see people
using gentoo, then you'll be waiting infinitely. I agree on some of your
points, and disagree on others, you only seem to acknowledge the points
I disagree on, and although you make statements which imply gentoo
requires hacking you never agree that it is hackish. If this is your
bone of contention wake up and smell the java (desktop environment, ;P).

Everything has its purpose, nails are made for wood, bolts are made for
metal. IMHO, gentoo is made for hacking, fedora is made for users.