[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Kevin Groves kevin.groves at kentpharm.co.uk
Fri Apr 21 15:50:00 BST 2006

Karl Lattimer wrote:

>Have you thought about a wiki rather than a forum, in my experience
>forums fall into disrepair after a while, people stop using them or
>don't even start sometimes.

I know. I was going to use a wiki but I dont have the time to keep tabs
on it. I'm not fussed about the forum side as the mailling list is just
too easy to use without having to go looking for things. Technology
should make things easier which equals the information should come to me
instead of wasting time looking.

The new site's content will mostly be articles submitted by members on
HOWTOs etc, web links to interesting places and new about meetings.

>And "(mailing list - durability) ~= forum" but with list archives you
>get some durability at least.

I might start off the article side by putting them as links into various
parts of the mailling list archive.

>A wiki has the advantage of being editable by the community widely and
>moderated in order to ensure the information remains useful.

Thats the point. They can be abused too and can likewise go stale as
much as forums if the information is not correct.

>I love wiki, I think its the best thing to happen to the internet,
>creating a knowledge archive means that discussions which happen on the
>list get transposed into wiki articles which you don't have to trawl
>through to get to what you're looking for, wiki makes sense in that
>nicely formatted articles have more impact than forum threads which
>discuss the same solutions and issues.

Oh yes I have a wiki on my home network for storing stuff. I like them
but in this case I need a little more easier control for me. It's better
this way than the static pages I'm currently got and I can make changes
without having to do HTML and upload. I might therefore be more in
inclined to do things now I dont have to work hard to make it happen. :-)
Kev,

--
The Information contained in this email is confidential and intended for the
use of the addressee only.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution