[Klug-general] Hello and an Introduction

Kevin Groves kevin.groves at kentpharm.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 11:44:50 BST 2006

MacGyveR wrote:

>>C is cool, very easy to use in linux very well supported and documented
>>of course, as its the language of the kernel. C is for the most part

Yes C is very cool.

>>(ignoring function pointers structures and list and tree entities) is

The best bit IMHO. Arrays of pointers to functions or pointers to
pointers. Wonderful stuff.

>>only a procedural language, its pretty basic but not B.A.S.I.C ;) C++ I
>>used to be very fond of once upon a time, which was back when I was
>>writing DOS programs, and studying. C++ has its moments, but its a very
>>bloaty language, a 1k file can generate a 5M binary if you're not
>>careful. I don't really write linux code in C++ yet, I've been on C
>>mostly because its easier in many respects, but now with codegen/dia
>>working nicely together I may dabble a bit more ;) the object
>>orientation of C++ is fairly primitive in that there is no inbuilt
>>garbage collection etc... I doubt it has serious usefulness nowadays.
>>Especially with C#

C++ I use a fair bit, mostly doing ODBC via the unixODBC libs which tend
towards C++. It's not bad, a bit of a hack to get it to do OO. Java is
better at it, and there are a fair number of bugs in C++ which catch you
out if yo're not careful.

One of the best things was a recent thing I did. I had a C program I had
devloped for someone on the Palm. I then converted it to C++ to adstract
the logic from the UI. Then because Palm is a dying technology I spent a
weekend with a book on learning Java and managed to migrate the C++ to
Java Mobile Edition for mobile phones. The logic and calcs moved
straight over and I then just had to change the UI. I'm quite amazed at
how easy it was to port C++ and even more so that OO does actually work
for cross platform migration. OK a small application but it saved a
complete rewrite.

>>Perverse Eclectic Rubbish Lister ;) perl is good, there is a tendancy
>>for people to rely on it in system administration and it can become very
>>messy very quickly. IMHO perl only has a single redeeming feature which
>>is the extensive support for regular expressions, perl is primarily a
>>text processor, so if you wanted to expand the script you previously

Perl is awesome. The module extensions at CPAN in particular. I never
really got into until I started doing perl CGI because I couldnt get PHP
working on my embedded platform.

Oh BTW, welcome Matthew. Bristol to Thanet? I know Bristol very well
(family from there), but welcome to Thanet when you get there.

Kev,

--
The Information contained in this email is confidential and intended for the
use of the addressee only.  Unauthorised disclosure, copying, distribution