[Klug-general] linux on ipods / turkish mortgage

mat hanrahan mathanrahan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 18:26:06 BST 2006

Two things that came up in conversation at the end of the last Dover meet:

First: 'Mortgage' is a problematic word in Turkey because 'mor' means
'purple' and 'gig' means 'ars*h***'.

Turkish banks avoid the term. The Turkish people, however, have taken a bit
of a shine to it and the word is now regularly heard as credit-services
continue to spread across Turkey.

Second: I thought Linux on the ipod was a ridiculous idea when I first heard
it. Then I heard the Josh Bancroft presentation at:
http://www.itconversations.com/shows/detail835.html

http://ipodlinux.org/ has instructions on how to port a uClinux kernel to
the first three generations of iPods. This firmware enables recording as
well as playback - apparently with a particularly high quality sound feed.
Simply plug a microphone into the headphone jack, switch it on via the
console and you can record multiple Gigs of broadcast quality audio   - all
on a popular consumer device which world+dog assumes can only play...

I can think of at least half-a-dozen uses for that. Anyone got one lying
about?

Seriously: any, any, any old iPods?