[Klug-general] Re: Mark Shuttleworth interview

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Thu Aug 10 18:33:48 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 17:46 +0100, Alan Pope wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 03:50:21PM +0100, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > > Just because they do it, doesn't make it right.
> >
> > Just because Israel has their reasons for bombing Lebanon doesn't make
> > it right
> >

> <snip massive flame>

It wasn't intended as a flame, I was making a perfectly valid point
about the unnecessary complaining that goes on. Instead of complaining,
do something about it, that is what the community is about.

> Thanks so much for your assistance in getting the video working in
> Mozilla/Firefox. It almost worked, but not quite. I will keep plugging away
> though, I'm sure it can be made to work here if it works on your machine.

All it takes is effort, if you'd googled before criticising channel 4
then you wouldn't have needed to extend your rant at colin who made
perfectly valid points, its not his fault, its not channel 4s fault, its
OUR responsibility as a community to fix this.

> I was interested to hear of the projects that you have that need some
> support. Unfortunately my own Linux based projects are consuming too much of
> my time at the moment for me to be able to offer much help personally, but I
> would be particularly interested in trac as I have no experience of it but
> can see a need for it in my own projects.

Trac is very good, but spam prone, I have someone full time on
wine-doors.org killing spam and admining the wiki/tickets. Careful of
subversion though, there are some >issues< which large repositories.

> I'm afraid the rest of your post was merely an unacceptable rant in my
> opinion. You made massive assumptions about me, my commitment to the
> community and my activities within the community. You seem to want to paint
> a picture of me as some kind of dimwit enduser. If it makes you feel better
> to put me in that box then fine. I know what I do for the community is
> valued, maybe not by you, but it is by others.

Did I say anything about you personally? Not exactly, the whole point
was to try and steer the list away from unnecessary rants about how this
should happen or that should happen or people should do this or that and
get more involved in making a difference.

BTW, you painted a picture of yourself as someone who would rather complain than
google and fix it, then write about how others can fix it, and also that you seemed
to grasp the ideology of the community but not fact that we all have to do our bit.

K,