[Klug-general] Re: Mark Shuttleworth interview

Alan at COMM-TECH alan at communitytechnology.org.uk
Fri Aug 11 12:12:03 BST 2006

Publishing media in a proprietary format is a bit like restricting sales
thereof to the first-class cabin, only those who can afford to be there,
have blagged a ticket, or bribed a steward, can only get access to it.

The fact that its is hackable to get xine working on wmv is not relevant
here. We have sold dozens of computers running Linux this year, and I
can be sure that only a few of those users are at this point confident
enough to take a screwdriver to their mozilla setup..

All you KLuggers can *afford* to use Windows, right?  ;)  ...And did you
pay 99 quid at the Online XPee shoppe, or did you perhaps buy your copy
legit and shrinkwrapped from PCWorld? Did it come bundled with your 699
quid PC? My point is that many many folk around the world are being
criminalised by the inability to afford Windows software. Publishers
with a public service remit like channel should not participate in that.

I dont think that its occurred to the programmers at channel 4 to
publish media in any other format than what is handed to them (they are
not the BBC remember). They need to be encouraged to put pressure on
their own organisation to do so and theres a "Have Your Say" bit where
we might be able to contribute your comments about open standards,
software being affordable to all etc. Who knows, maybe if enough of us
voice the problem someone there will try to address the issue

Alan