[Klug-general] Re: Kent Digest, Vol 82, Issue 1

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 29 12:03:04 BST 2006

The idea of doing a showcase type thing is good but ther are a few problems.
Firstly, as has ben said, you need to show them something really
amazing or cool. People like my dad really like the fact that there
are no viruses and he won't have to shell out over £100 pounds on MS
office and i'm geussing that most of the windows using population is
the same. However none of these things are particlary sexy.
You could I suppose show them something that is sexy, such as mythtv
or xgl, unfortuently you'd also be forced to admit that it's a bitch
to setup.

The second problem is the press. It would be really great to get them
to come along however you'd need to make sure it was very locally
bias. Press releasing as the Kent Linux user group would be no good,
you'd have to keep it spefic to a town. ie doing an install fest in
Maidstone, for the people of Maidstone in a maidstone kinda way.
You'd also have to make sure you gave them something good to
photograph, no offence to anyone but a room full of geeks staring at
their laptops just ain't gonna cut it. at the very least we'll need
someone in a penguin suit