[Klug-general] Re: Kent Digest, Vol 82, Issue 1

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 19:07:45 BST 2006

Peter Childs wrote:

> While I agree totally with this, but can't we do something. How about
> standing in Central Maidstone shopping centre on a Saturday morning
> doing it like many Charities do. Put a stand at the Dickens Festival
> etc etc etc.
Costs quite a bit of money and council involvment to do anything in the
street. I don't know what Maidstone council are like but Shepway and
Dover have a lot of red tape for permissions.

> Had a long debate with GLLUG about this and they were thinking of
> having a press officer and making press releases but then they are the
> 240 strong LUG in the City (Strangely enough nothing has happened yet)

Case in point really.

I *really* don't want to be coming across that I don't want to do any of
this, I'm just saying doing something on this scale requires a vast
amount of time, money and commitment to get it working. And then it
needs to be repeated every time, not just once a year. Kent is also a
large place so this makes the task a whole lot harder. With say GLLUG
above they only had a small area to deal with, not us!

I don't have the time, money or skills to do this on my own. Previously
the LUG drew subs but I saw that it will stopping growth and in fact it
seemed to be on the way down. I've had a number of other ideas but they
throw up more problems.

If anyone has a *strong* desire to *really* get this kind of thing going
please jump into the co-ord list and we can discuss it there as there
will be a lot of boring things others wont want to hear until something
is actually going to happen.

Kev,