[Klug-general] Hi All, greetings and a laptp enquiry

Matt House matthouse at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Dec 14 21:55:29 GMT 2006

First of all Hi. I've been using Linux now for a few years and have only
just got my bum in gear and joined the kent lug! So hello guys and gals,
I hope I can be of help to some people =) I am based in Canterbury and
my names Matt.

I'm on a quest! that's right, a quest... I'm after a new laptop (well a
second user laptop) as I really miss the portability (that and I need
something to do some hacking on when I'm on lunch at work!). This is no
ordinary laptop quest though, there are several criteria.

a) It must be linux compatible, I don't mind some hacking but I would
like it to be possible to have sound, working PCMCIA and all that jazz.
not fussed about suspend to ram or disk.

b) It must be small, I'm thinking 12" screen or under. I'm a big girls
blouse when it comes to carrying things and I really don't want to have
to lug a behemoth with me everywhere I go =P

c) It must be cheap! I'm not looking at spending much more than about
£50, which isn't much.  However I know a few people who have managed to
pick up some pretty nice P2's or low end P3's for that price, the last
laptop I had was an old thinkpad X21 (p3 700MHz, 20Gb, 256Mb) and I
managed to nab that off ebay for just over £100 so I think it's possible.

I'm not after anything powerful (not on that budget anyway) I'm thinking
of running zenwalk linux, with fluxbox. and the most strenuous task it's
going to be doing is listening to lugradio whilst I bash out something
in gedit.

If anyone has an ideas or recommendations of models etc I'd be really
grateful (and If anyone wants to sell me a laptop drop me a mail ;)

thanks for your help in advance peeps and as I've just found the forum
and the website you can expect to see a lot more of me in future.

thanks

shrimphead